The Official Website of Zilla Panchayat Tumkur...

District at Glace:

Tumakuru is the headquaters town of the district and the district is also called by the same name.Popular tradition has it that tumakuru once formed part of territory, whose capital was Kridapura, now a small village known as kaidala, three miles to the south of tumakuru , and that it was presented byone of its rulers to a herald or tom-tom beater."Tumuke" is the small drum or "Tabret",which is used for tom-tomming, and the town might have been called Tumuke-Ooru" to indicate that it belonged to ibeater of "Tumuke".But the original name of the place according to the 10th century was "Tummeguru",which means, that the place of the "Tumme orTumbe ",a common fragrant herb found abundantly in the area.It is said that present town was build by Kante Arasu,a member of the mysuru royal family, and because the area was the same name with the addition of ooru for the town and called it Tumme-ooru or Tumbe-ooru ,in course of time came to be pronounced Tumakuru (or Tumakuru in its anglicised form) as it is now known.

Location:

Tumkur belongs to group of districts called the maidan (plains) district and is situtated in the east-central part of the Mysuru State and to the South and the South-east chitradurga district . It is bounded on the north by the Ananthapur district of Andrhra Pradesh, on the east by Kolar and Benguluru rural districts, on the south by Mandya district and on the west by the districts of Chithradurga, Chikkamagalur and Hassan. One Unique feature of this district is that one of the taluks, i.e. Pavagada, is not at all connected with it at any point. The taluk is surrounded on all sides by Ananthpur district of Andhra Pradesh and is connected with Karnataka at one point by a narrow strip of land on the north-west, and that too, not with the Tumkuru district to which it belongs, but with another district of Karnataka i.e. chitradurga. This is because of the fact that this taluk once formed part of the Chitradurga district and was seperated from it and attached to Tumkuru district in 1886.

Background and Brief Regional History.

During the early period, from the 5th to the 10th century A.D., a major portion of the area comprising the present Tumkuru district fomed part of Gangavadi and was in the possession of the Gangas. The north-eastern part of the district formed part of the Nolambavadi in the 10th and 11th centuries and was ruled by the Nolamabas , who had their capital at Penjaru or Henjeru (in the present Madakasira taluk of Andhra Pradesh)and a stronghold at Nidugal in the Pavagada Taluk. At this time the chief devisions of the country seem to have their revenue value affixed to their names. Thus the area under the Gangas was known as Gangavadi, while the area under Nolambas was nolambavadi. In the ninth century, there were matrimonial alliances between these two dynasties, and Nolambadhiraja, who married Jayabbe, younger sister of the Ganga King nitimarga, assigned certian villages in Sira taluk for each of his other queens. The Hoysalas, who succeeded the Gangas, held away over almost the entire area. The area later came under the rule of the Vijayanagara kings in the 14th century and under the letters of sovereignty, there were in the area, , several small feudatory States wuch as those of Hagalavadi, Holavanahalli, Madhugiri and Nidugal. When the vijayapura army invaded the country, the descendants of some the these rulers were driven out of their eastates and almost the whole of the northern part of the district was brought under Adil Shahi rule. The Mughals, who later captured Golconda and Vijayapura , made Sira a province, with Doddaballapur, Bengaluru, Hoskote and Kolar, known as Karnataka - Vijayapura - Bagalkot, under a Subedar or Faujdar. The southern part of the district , which was not appropriated by the Vijayapura Government established at Sira, was, in the meanwhile, conquered by the Mysuru ruler, Chikkadevaraya Wodeyar. Thus by the end of the 17th century , the southern taluk of Tumkuru district were part and parcel of the Mysuru Territory. The remaining portion fell to Mysuru on the conquest of Sira by Haidar Ali in 1761.

After the fall of Tipu, the territery was restored to the Mysuru royal family, and during the reign of His Highness the Maharaja Krishnaraja Wodeyur 111(1811-31) m Mysuru State conssisted of the six faujdaris of Bengaluru, Madhugiri, Chitradurga, Ashtagram, Manjarabad and Nagar. The presnt Tumkur district formed part of Madhugiri Faujdari. in 1834 these six Faujdari were reconstitutted into the four divisions of Bengaluru, Nagar, Chitradurga, Ashtagram. The tumkur district alongwith the Chitradurga district, formed the Chitradurga division with headquarters at Tumkuru.

Physiographic Divisions of the District.

While Tumakuru district underwent various phases of local self governance in the region since ancient times. The advent of British rule brought several mixed changes in the constitution and working of these institutions, after the independence, a landmark in the local self governance was made in 1992 with the 73rd and 74th constitutional Amendment Acts by the Government of India. In line with this Act, the state Government also reorganised the three tier system of demmocratic decentralised governance both in rural and urban sectors.

Present Position

At present there are ten taluks in the district. These taluks are grouped into tree revenue sub-divisions for administrative convenience: Tumakuru, Tiptur and Madhugiri. There are ten city/town muncipal corporations ,331 Grama Panchayats , 2574 inhabited villages in the district. The area of the sitrict according to the census2011 is 10,597 sq.k.mrs., and its populations is 26,,78,980 . Of the ten taluks of the district, Sira is largest, being 1552 sq kilometers, follwed by Pavagada (1358), Gubbi (1221) , Madhugiri (1131) Chikkanayakanahalli i(1113) Tumakuru (1026) Kunigal (981) , Tiptur (785) Turuvekere (778) and the smallest is Koratagere (652) sq kilometers

 

 

 
logo
Designed & Developed By National Informatics Centre, Tumkur
Contents provided by Zilla Panchayat, Tumkur
Disclaimer